Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Zombie update from: Washington


~-~-~-~-~ guest ~-~-~-~-~
by Rinni of Rinni's Playground
~-~-~-~-~ guest ~-~-~-~-~

45 miles to Mt. Rainier, WA

It's been a month since the first zombie outbreak/attack. Call it whatever you want, a virus, disease, black magic, or a biblical plague, Zombopacalpse. I never thought I would live to see this day, to witness the end of the world. I use to joke about the zombie apocalypse with the twins. Tyler wanted to know which gun would be his, Ryan asked me if it was really going to happen. I told him no, that zombies were only science fiction and it would never happen. I guess I'm a liar now.


I started stockpiling food and ammo since word of the outbreak broke. No one thought it would make it's way to the US, as if we could remain untouchable. Zombies are the great equalizer. My paranoia is paying off now, but for how long? We have enough food for a few months, maybe. But who knows how long the ammo will hold out. If Tom was here he'd know what to do, he always knows what to do. God, I miss him. It's been a week since I've had any word from him in Afghanistan. At least I don't worry about him not having enough ammo. I wish more than anything he was home with us right now.

The neighbor from around the corner was my first zombie encounter. I picked her off with the rifle from the upstairs window. This is when living right next to a gun range pays off big, I use to think it was only the cure for PTSD. I'll never forget the sight of her shambling up the drive, moaning, or her brains blowing out the back of her head. My first zombie kill. She wasn't human, she was a monster, a zombie and she wanted my babies, I had to kill her. I told the boys not to look but I know I can't shield them from it for long. Soon they'll have to man the windows too. As much as I want to protect them I need for them to be able to protect themselves. It's a whole new world now.

It's days like this I'm glad I was a Soldier, that training and discipline might be the only things that help me save my family. My friend, Dani wants us to come stay with her on Ft. Lewis. I think we stand a better chance defending ourselves if we band together against this plague of monsters. The boys will feel safer surrounded by Soldiers. They keep asking about Tom, I don't know what to tell them. Hopefully someone on base can give me some information, I need to know he's okay. A war zone within a war zone, half a world away.

We're leaving for base at first light. I pray we make it without incident.

~end

Guest post created for September Zombies event by Rinni of Rinni's Playground
© 2011. All rights reserved.

A trio update:

READ Tom's post.

READ Rinni's post - here.

READ Pabkin's post.

~-~-~-~-~ guest ~-~-~-~-~
by Rinni of Rinni's Playground
~-~-~-~-~ guest ~-~-~-~-~

NOW, head over to Rinni's Playground for a zombie treat...

Handmade Zombie Plush Bunnies
created by the sister duo
Rinni of Rinni's Playground
and
Pabkins of MissionToRead!


~*~

* header image source, Mt. Rainier

=== September Zombies schedule ===


 
Imagination Designs
Images from: Lovelytocu