Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Castle: Pantry

Before you leave the kitchen you notice the pantry door open. A bookshelf of cookbooks and stacks of recipe cards catch your eye.

Cook is taking a breather and walks over to you.

Aye, a lot o'good those will do. Milady likes to dabble with those. Collects 'em from trips and such. I keeps me recipes all in 'ere. Cook taps the side of her head.

Here be the one she gets from France ages ago. Here take it if you please. She won't miss it. She has two!

French Women for All Seasons
A Year of Secrets, Recipes, & Pleasure
by Mireille Guiliano

Description from the amazon:
By letter, e-mail, and in person, readers of Mireille Guiliano’s phenomenal best seller, French Women Don’t Get Fat, have inundated her with requests for more of her cunning but simple secrets to living the good life, the ways French women manage to enjoy wine, chocolate, and many other seductive pleasures without gaining weight. Mireille’s answer? This buoyant book brimming with fresh advice and seasonal stories—on food bien sûr (more than 100 delicious new recipes) but also on many other aspects of living that should bring us pleasure, such as picking a wine, dressing well, even arranging flowers.

French women not only stay slim while relishing life to the fullest, they also have the longest life expectancy in the Western world. And now Mireille shows us how they attune themselves to the rhythms of the year. Together with a bounty of new dining ideas and menus, she offers us a treasury of tips on style, grooming, and entertaining, all designed to focus the mind on sensory pleasure for maximum enjoyment. Here are four seasons’ worth of strategies for shopping, cooking, and exercising, as well as some pointers for looking effortlessly chic. Whether your aim is finding two scoopfuls of pleasure in one of crème brûlée or entertaining beautifully when time is short and expectations are high, the inspiration you need is here. Taking us from her childhood in Alsace-Lorraine to her summers in Provence and her busy life in New York and Paris, this book of scrumptious Gallic wisdom and wit shows how anyone anywhere can develop a healthy, holistic lifestyle.

In the voice that entranced more than a million honorary French women, Mireille demonstrates that there is indeed an art to joyful living, and that equilibrium—being bien dans sa peau and true to one’s individual nature—is the key to a long and healthy life. Full of sage, irresistible advice on everything from decanting to detoxing, from yogurt to yoga, French Women for All Seasons is an essential guide to savoring all life’s moments—in moderation, in season, and, above all, with pleasure.

*** Book Giveaway ***

Open to all.

Offer ends: August 30, 2010

TO DO (2-parts):

1. Sign guestbook (if you haven't already).

2. In comments, tell me the title of your favorite fairy tale.


Contest has ended - winner is here



* image source kitchen

***~*~* Fairy Tales in Bruges schedule *~*~***


  1. Hm favorite fairy tale is probably "Snow White and Rose Red." Much better than the Disney movie.

  2. This looks fascinating!!! My favorite fairy tale at the moment is Cinderella. :)

  3. Signed the guestbook.
    My favorite fairytale must be Sleeping Beauty.

    This cookbook looks amazing!

  4. My favorite was Rapunsal,Rapunsal, Let Down Your Long Hair. For some reason my grandmother could grow all down her back. I only saw it when she undid her bun. But my hair could only grow to shoulder length.

    The cookbook looks great.


  5. How funny, that a Siofra must tell of her favourite 'fairy' story. You must know that what you see as legend is really our reality. But I shall tell you anyway. In fact there are two. One is the story of the brothers who are turned to swans and their sister must weave prickled shirts for them to break the spell. The other is the story of the dancing princesses. I believe a clever mortal teller of tales has written books about them. One is called Daughter of the Forest and the other is called Wildwood Dancing and they are by Juliet Marillier. Even by Siofra standards they are very good!

  6. I fell in love with Cinderella at age 6 when I received my first Cinderella Book along with a record with the mice singing Cinderella's song on one side and the Fairy Godmother singing Bibity, Bobity, Boo on filp side. She is still my favorite.

    I am still waiting on my Prince but I am afraid he may have been hit by a bus when he was on his way to see me..Or I went to the air port and he was at the train station.

    misskallie2000 at yahoo dot com

  7. My favorite is probably Beauty and the Beast - its one of the few tales where the female is ACTIVE and not waiting around for a prince to rescue her. Snow White - asleep, Sleeping Beauty - ditto, Cindy and Rapunzel - waiting for Prince, etc...
    I used to write musical twists on fairytales and made the females active every time :)

  8. I signed the guestbook. That was easy. Now, choosing a single favorite fairy tale? Much harder.

    I've always been partial to the Snow White and Rose Red stories, because I liked that the sisters weren't adversaries. I also loved any story with an animal prince!

  9. I signed your guestbook and I love beauty and the beast!


  10. I would love to hear Wildwood Dancing! Just the premise makes me want to do the exact same thing.

  11. 12 Dancing Princesses! That's my absolute favorite!


  12. Beauty and the Beast. I'd listen to my mother tell me that fairy tale night after night, and I'd never get bored.

    I loved how Belle could fall in love with something 'grotesque', despite how the townsfolk viewed the Beast in a negative manner. It really helped me keep an open mind in real life to people who look different, and caused me to befriend some really nice people (whom others wouldn't approach because of their appearance).

  13. i have a few favorite fairy tails id have to say my favorite is sleepying beauty and of course thumbilina more in to the grimms versions but hey a fairytale is a fairy tale

  14. Signed the guestbook.
    My favorite always has been Snow white and the 7 dwarves.


  15. My favorite fairy tale has always been Sleeping Beauty.

    seriousreader at live dot com

  16. Red Riding Hood on Roal Dahl's (nasty) version!
    I was always a sucker for black humour since a child!

  17. Rapunzel!
    I always dreamed she was a redhead beauty!

  18. Donkeyskin
    Especially because of the musical "Peau d'Âne"!

  19. My favorite fairy tale is The Beauty and the Beast! ^^

  20. I just love The Boy who cried Wolf.
    I think it's almost real even still being a fairy tale.

  21. Cinderella has always been my favorite fairy tale.

    signed your guestbook

    spamscape [at] gmail [dot] com

  22. My favorite faity tale is and will always be Alice in Wonderland. Go strong female characters!!




  23. my favorite has always been beauty and the beast! alice in wonderland is a very close second, though....

    k_sunshine1977 at yahoo dot com

  24. Beauty and the Beast as well!
    I think we have a winner!

  25. The Golden Goose is my all-time favorite!

  26. I love reading Snow White.

    aikychien at yahoo dot com


Imagination Designs
Images from: Lovelytocu