Sunday, November 22, 2009

Love, Lies and Lizzie by Rosie Rushton

Love, Lies and Lizzie
by Rosie Rushton

Published: 2009
Genre: Romance
Paperback: 216 pages
Rating: 3

Description from book:
What would happen if the traumas of teenage life and love from Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice were transferred to the twenty-first century?

When Mrs Bennet inherits enough money to move into the kind of village she has always dreamed of, her daughters find themselves swept up in a glamorous life of partying and country pursuits.

But Lizzie and her sisters soon discover that, beneath the very smart surface, lurks a web of intrigue and rivalries...

My thoughts:
In-a-word(s): sassy

I felt the focus here was with the Bennet girls in the modern setting which works well. All the characters, scenes and themes were present for a Pride and Prejudice re-telling.

This YA Pride and Prejudice take was a bit off for me with the passion and romance. Perhaps this is why I wasn't too keen on the read. While there was a spark between the Lizzie and Darcy couple, their chemistry did not work for me.

I did like that Lizzie was sassy and equipped with exceptional singing and French Horn skills.

Jane Austen sighting:
'You'll be fine," Lizzie assured her again. 'Go for it - just think, you and Charles galloping side by side across the countryside, hair streaming in the wind - just like in that Pride and Prejudice DVD. Sooo romantic!'
-Lizzie to Jane (chapter 4, page 68)


*part of Pemberley Ball festivities

*check out my Book Fashion: Love Lies Lizzie dress

*** Giveaway ***
Open to all.
Offer ends: November 29, 2009
Comment below with email address and answer me this:

What is your favorite musical instrument?

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Contest has ended - winner is here
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~



8 comments:

  1. Flute, of course since it is the instrument I play. :)

    Thanks for the giveaway. I had not heard of this book before. Love reading all these P&P inspired books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Violin...It's so gorgeous, I wish I could play it myself. And old friend of mine could play Green Day's Good Riddance on the violin and it was just so lovely!

    Mari, the flute is the only instrument I've attempted to play...

    Lady Godiva

    hmsgofita at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun book. My favorite instrument in the accoustic guitar. Preferably played by a half naked male, (whoops) I mean a TALENTED musician.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mother and father have provided me with piano lessons from the greatest tutors available and I have dearly loved playing the piano. Does anyone here play duets? Or should we perhaps, form a musical club?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hard to say as I love both the flute and the piano since I have played them since I was a young child (I even have my niece playing them now). While I did teach myself to play 3 songs on my violin [my paternal grandfather played but he died before I was born] one summer (all Christmas carols) that was as far as I got; now I wish that I had stayed with it.


    Lady Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite musical instrument is piano. I also love cello. And I think that a beautiful voice is the instrument which is needed the most. :D

    milkavainamo@lyseo.edu.ouka.fi

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favourite musical instrument is the piano.
    I would love to be entered in your draw. Thanks.
    wandanamgreb(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Piano! Piano! Did I say Piano?!
    :o)

    (my moderated blog is happy to serve as a surogate mail-box)
    ;o)

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs
Images from: Lovelytocu