Thursday, September 24, 2009

Hybrid by Angie L. Reed

Hybrid
by Angie L. Reed

Published: June 2009
Genre: Romance, Vampires
Paperback: 300 pages
Rating: 4

Inspiration: my R.I.P. challenge, Helluva Halloween challenge and Weekly Zombies (check out the latest zombie reviews and blogosphere finds)

Description from amazon.com: Just when you think you have read and seen it all, something new dawns on the horizon. Julian, Max and Emily open a new door into the unreal, a door that will mesmerize the reader with shocking unexpected twists and turns as a new generation of vampires is revealed.

My thoughts:
In-a-word(s): I am neither good, nor bad, neither angel nor devil, I am a man, I am a vampire.- Michael Romkey. I, Vampire.

Don't be fooled by the book cover. This is a YA vampire novel. Well sorta. There's a twist. It's a story of half human/ half vampire creatures.

Being a YA novel the first half of the book covers all the trials and tribulations of a teen girl fitting into a new school in a small town. Fortunately, the assimilation into the new school goes well. Friends, popularity and a boyfriend come easily for the main character, Emily.

You get brief peeks into Emily's past which provides a mystery element into the story. But for the most part, the first half of the book puts you into a false sense of security.

The second half of the book picks up with some vampir-ish action. I say "ish" because you don't get neck biting. However, you get introduced to the whole concept of a Hybrid. This part of the story is what fascinated me.

Oh yeah, there's also a love triangle. ;-D

Then, it ends with a doozy of cliffhanger. To me, the story has just begun and I look forward to what book 2 has to offer.

Loved the vampire quotes and references that prefaced each chapter. One in particular that was an interesting tidbit was a picture in the intro pages.

The Great Wall of China during the Ming Dynasty, Home of Ursulus, The Original Vampire, 1368-1644 A.D.

Series:
Hybrid
Bloodling

Interview with Angie

Excerpt:

When did you decide to start writing and why?

I decided to write Hybrid after reading Stephanie Meyer’s series Twilight. I was inspired by Renesmee who is half human and half vampire.

And, check out Angie's site to win a copy of Hybrid during her November giveaway!

Zombie sighting:
Mom thought it was a zombie flick--that is why she rented it.
page 164

*Will you be watching Vampire Diaries tonight?


 
Imagination Designs
Images from: Lovelytocu