Thursday, September 24, 2009

Hybrid by Angie L. Reed

Hybrid
by Angie L. Reed

Published: June 2009
Genre: Romance, Vampires
Paperback: 300 pages
Rating: 4

Inspiration: my R.I.P. challenge, Helluva Halloween challenge and Weekly Zombies (check out the latest zombie reviews and blogosphere finds)

Description from amazon.com: Just when you think you have read and seen it all, something new dawns on the horizon. Julian, Max and Emily open a new door into the unreal, a door that will mesmerize the reader with shocking unexpected twists and turns as a new generation of vampires is revealed.

My thoughts:
In-a-word(s): I am neither good, nor bad, neither angel nor devil, I am a man, I am a vampire.- Michael Romkey. I, Vampire.

Don't be fooled by the book cover. This is a YA vampire novel. Well sorta. There's a twist. It's a story of half human/ half vampire creatures.

Being a YA novel the first half of the book covers all the trials and tribulations of a teen girl fitting into a new school in a small town. Fortunately, the assimilation into the new school goes well. Friends, popularity and a boyfriend come easily for the main character, Emily.

You get brief peeks into Emily's past which provides a mystery element into the story. But for the most part, the first half of the book puts you into a false sense of security.

The second half of the book picks up with some vampir-ish action. I say "ish" because you don't get neck biting. However, you get introduced to the whole concept of a Hybrid. This part of the story is what fascinated me.

Oh yeah, there's also a love triangle. ;-D

Then, it ends with a doozy of cliffhanger. To me, the story has just begun and I look forward to what book 2 has to offer.

Loved the vampire quotes and references that prefaced each chapter. One in particular that was an interesting tidbit was a picture in the intro pages.

The Great Wall of China during the Ming Dynasty, Home of Ursulus, The Original Vampire, 1368-1644 A.D.

Series:
Hybrid
Bloodling

Interview with Angie

Excerpt:

When did you decide to start writing and why?

I decided to write Hybrid after reading Stephanie Meyer’s series Twilight. I was inspired by Renesmee who is half human and half vampire.

And, check out Angie's site to win a copy of Hybrid during her November giveaway!

Zombie sighting:
Mom thought it was a zombie flick--that is why she rented it.
page 164

*Will you be watching Vampire Diaries tonight?


6 comments:

  1. Nice review. I like it when chapters are prefaced with quotes, too. It's another little layer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been sitting on the fence about this one. Great review. I am still not convinced. There are so many vampire book, we readers can really be selective. It has to jump out at me, I'm not sure this one does that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I think I want to read this book. I wasn't surprised when I read that she was inspired by Twilight, that was the first thing that sprung to mind when I read about a girl fitting in to a new school ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just gave away a bunch of awards on my blog, and you received one. Or more. I really can't keep track at this point...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds interesting! You have drawn me into the world vampire/zombie ya novels!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review. It sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs
Images from: Lovelytocu