Friday, September 11, 2009

Lady Susan by Jane Austen

Lady Susan
by Jane Austen

Published: 1871
Genre: Epistolary, Historical (Regency)
E-text from: Molland’s Circulating Library
Rating: 4

Inspiration: A Soiree with Lady Susan hosted by Austenprose
and
Everything Austen Challenge hosted by Stephanie's Written Word

Description from amazon.com:
Beautiful, flirtatious, and recently widowed, Lady Susan Vernon seeks an advantageous second marriage for herself, while attempting to push her daughter into a dismal match. A magnificently crafted novel of Regency manners and mores that will delight Austen enthusiasts with its wit and elegant expression.

My thoughts:
In-a-word: epistolary

To all Austen fans or new to Jane Austen works: If you haven't already, please head over to A Soiree with Lady Susan to learn about this wonderful piece of juvenilia.

This was my first experience of reading a story in letters-format. It was interesting to see how the flow of the story moved along well. Lady Susan was a pleasure to read and gives us a peek at Austen's earlier works.

I was tickled at one of the entries where Mrs. Johnson, Lady Susan's friend, addresses Lady Susan as "creature" in the salutation - such an affectionate and teasing term.

And, I was intrigued with the closings:

- Yours, &c.,
- Yours ever, &c.,
- Your affectionate, &c.,
- I am, &c., &c,
- I remain, &c., &c.,

The &c. (et cetera) is so eye-catching. I'm going to start incorporating that in my snail mail.

With this story I found the Frederica character as the template for Austen's Fanny Price character in Mansfield Park. (still working my way through this novel)

I wasn't too keen on the ending. It was too abrupt and left me questioning. I would have liked to see Lady Susan's perspective on Sir James. However overall, I liked how Austen portrayed such a free-spirited and seductive character that is Lady Susan.

 
Imagination Designs
Images from: Lovelytocu