Monday, August 23, 2010

Castle: Kitchen


You have finally arrived!

Castle Bryggja

The servants relieve you of your baggage and parcels.

You walk down the hall and pass the dining room.

The next room you come upon is bustling. It is the kitchen.

The cook is madly dashing about the room. She doesn't look up at you but senses your presence.

Oy! don't just stand there, give us some help, here.

Cook mistakes you for the extra help.

What do you do?

A - Grab the nearest apron?

You don't mind helping out a bit and besides you're a bit peckish after the long journey. You will be able to get some nibbles here and there.



Flirty Aprons Women's Apron in Pink/Chocolate


B - Grab the cake pan?

Because after all, baking is one of your specialties!



Nordicware Platinum Fairytale Cottage Bundt Cake Pan


ooo, and there's a recipe card next to it...

Lemon Bundt Cake Recipe

1 cup butter softened
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel

GLAZE:
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon water
3/4 cup granulated sugar

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees

2. In a large mixing bowl cream the butter and sugar.
Add the eggs to the mixture one at a time and beat in until combined.

3. Add the flour, baking powder and salt and combine.
Slowly add the lemon juice and milk to the mixture.
Stir in the lemon peel.

4. Pour the mixture into a greased and floured 10 inch bundt cake pan.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 60-70 minutes

5. Cool for 10 minutes in the cake pan then invert onto a wire rack.

6. Put the glaze ingredients into a pan and simmer very gently until combined.

7. Put the bundt cake onto a serving plate. Pour the glaze mixture over the cake.

C - Grab a tea towel?

Your sense of order is offended when you see the tea cart standing nearby in need of the finishing touch.



ferm LIVING Lovebirds Kitchen Tea Towel


D - Make your apologies and make your way towards the Buttery to quench your thirst with a mug of ale.

*** CSN Grab Giveaway ***

Pick your prize above: apron, pan, or tea towel

Open to all.

Offer ends August 30.

TO DO (3-parts):

1. Sign guestbook (if you haven't already).

In comments let me know...

2. What do you GRAB in the situation above?

3. If you are the winner, what prize would you pick?

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Contest has ended - winner is here

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~*~

* Kitchens were integrated into the Medieval castles - they included cooking ovens for baking and huge fireplaces for smoking and roasting food. They also had a water supply complete with a sink and drainage. A hive of activity with cooks, bakers, spit boys and scullions. -per Medieval Castle Life

* The room in the castle called the Buttery was intended for storing and dispensing beverages, especially ale. The person who presided over the buttery was called the Butler. Next to the buttery another room was added later called the Bottlery. Water was not safe to drink and people drank ale and wine in Medieval Castle life. -per Medieval Castle Life

* prize courtesy of CSN stores
With such selection, savings and service, many have said that CSN Stores is the best-kept secret in online shopping.

* image source of prizes from CSN stores housewares, castle

***~*~* Fairy Tales in Bruges schedule *~*~***


23 comments:

  1. I love baking! And of course I would love to help(going to grab the cake pan). Thank you for the recipe! :D
    If I'm a winner I would pick the Nordicware Platinum Fairytale Cottage Bundt Cake Pan.

    Great giveaway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grab the nearest apron! I'm pretty useless in a kitchen but I could still help out in some way. Plus that apron is cute so I could at least stand around looking pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the site Midieval Castle Life. I used that site a lot when I wrote Cinders.

    I would grab the apron because I love to help in the kitchen! And if I were to pick a prize I'd pick that apron. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute blog and contest! Hi, I'm a new follower thanks to Michelle.

    I think I would grab that cake pan. I mean, a castle full of cake? How could anyone resist!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've signed the guestbook.
    I'd grab the nearest apron for sure!
    If I won, I'd surely love the apron... for all my flirting and baking needs! I do love the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, I forgot to add: as a prize, I'd pick either the apron or the tea towel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry but I'd have to make my apologies and move on. I'm not really comfortable in the kitchen. I would love to win the apron, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love bakinig so I'd grab the cake pan in both situations

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am Lucia and work often in the castle kitchen. But no one knows I am there because I only work at night. I am a Siofra, you see. We are sprites who help mortals if we choose and Bryggja always has such interesting guests. It is why I choose to stay here.
    You will often find me with a tea towel tucked inot my apron strings. And my favourite is a fine linen one with a pattern of birds. I shall tell you soemthing, it is magick and I can dry the dishes of a feast for 100 in a minute. Don't you wish you had asked for one too?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a Virgo....I grab the tea towel =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm.. can't grab the phone and call for take out, so I would grab the apron - at least I'll look nice :) And I'd choose the apron if I win
    adrianecoros(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd grab that cake pan for sure, especially since I used to make lemon pound cake and wouldn't that pan be just perfect?!

    However, it's been a wee bit since I've baked a cake from scratch. Hope the castle employs a taste tester or two ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. In that situation I would help out as much as possible (I can't help it, its what I do...) and for a prize I'd like the tea towel!

    Lexie

    ReplyDelete
  14. honetsly if i were tobe there and help id have to say isgrab the apron and the pan and really thats a toss up on which one id chose a s my prize but since id have to pick id pick the bunt pan simply because its adorable and be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I'd have to grab the cake pan and make a cake so I could eat some of it, I'm on a diet you see. I would pick the cake pan if I won, I think it's very cute.

    seriousreader at live dot com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would grab the apron and get nibbles while I help. If I won I would pick the bundt cake pan.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I signed the guestbook. I'd grab an apron but I really like that bundt pan.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I signed the guess book and I would love to win the tea towel, I never seem to have enough. What a great giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'd grab the apron, and that's also the prize that I'd like the most.

    signed your guestbook

    spamscape [at] gmail [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  20. i would grab the apron and dig right in to help where i was needed, and by sheer coincidence, that's what i would pick for my prize!

    k_sunshine1977 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'd grab the cake pan! I'd choose it as my prize if i win.

    aikychien at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs
Images from: Lovelytocu