Saturday, August 7, 2010

Dream Within

A Dream Within a Dream
by Edgar Allan Poe
first published in 1849

Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
Thus much let me avow-
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream;
Yet if hope has flown away
In a night, or in a day,
In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore,
And I hold within my hand
Grains of the golden sand-
How few! yet how they creep
Through my fingers to the deep,
While I weep- while I weep!
O God! can I not grasp
Them with a tighter clasp?
O God! can I not save
One from the pitiless wave?
Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?


  1. Awesome poem! I can't wait to see Inception... looks weird. I like weird.

  2. I Love Edgar Allen Poe! Thanks for posting

  3. Ditto on Poe, plus he's not the first to suggest life really is naught but a dream ... I *LOVE* this type of metaphysical mind bending ;D

    And DOUBLE ditto on Inception!!! This is one movie we can't wait to see!

  4. Inception was awesome! You found the perfect poem to capture the film.

  5. Very cool...really the poem and I think I want to see the movie...

  6. Love this ~ and Inception was great! New to your blog and enjoying it!

  7. I agree-the poem is perfect. I am really hoping to make Inception a date night movie with my hubs!!=)

  8. I love this poem! Thank you, Velvet! :D


Imagination Designs
Images from: Lovelytocu