Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Lord Akeldama

Another Vampire Dandy

Lord Akeldama is a vampire that main character, Alexia, interacts with and befriends to help solve a mystery in Gail Carriger's first steampunk paranormal novel, Soulless. He is always dressed to the nines and in company of other dandified gentry known as his boys or other young bloods.


Dear Lord Akeldama excerpt: from Gail's site
Anonymous asks: Fear of being bitten by vampires (no offense) & werewolves. What weapons do you recommend while still remaining fashionable?

Lord Akeldama: I have it on good authority that hair sticks make wonderful defensive weapons. I myself enjoy the occasion cravat pin of consequence and appeal. Your best defense, however, is in the company you keep, surround yourself with exquisite objects and dazzling people and any attacker will be instantly distracted!

-read more


Lord Akeldama
fan art by eeza
Sometimes, I REALLY miss the Rococo age.

Why the Rococo age?
Because, well... "It was such a glorious time to be alive, when men finally and truly got to wear sparkly things, and there was lace and velvet everywhere."

Meet Lord Akeldama, a vampire who doesn't sparkle, but would probably love to. And, yes, he will call you "darling". And "daffodil". And "fluffy cockatoo". -per eeza


Peek into Lord Akeldama's home (per Gail): more photos here


Interview with Lord Akeldama excerpt: from The Mad Hatter's Bookshelf and Book Review
MH: How do you view the Victorian era versus the other epoch’s you’ve lived through?

Lord Akeldama: Ah, sugar bell, I do find this era a little staid in the matter of color and shoe adornments, and of course I simply cannot and will not approve of the muttonchops. Not even slightly. But I shall admit that I do find some of the new brass accessories unexpectedly intriguing.
-read more


Lord Akeldama appears in the Parasol Protectorate series...

series by Gail Carriger
btw: these are the gorgeous German covers



Sit down with a cuppa tea and scones and listen to a full cast production podcast of the first chapter of Soulless!
-per Gail this is NOT the same as the audiobook


Excerpt: Lord Akeldama in action
"Lucky?" Lord Akeldama fairly spat the word, jumping to his feet. "Lucky! To be cursed by the moon into a slathering beast? You would have done better to let him die. My poor boy." Lord Akeldama was not a big man, certainly not by werewolf standards, but he moved so quickly that he was around Professor Lyall's desk, slim hands about the werewolf's throat, faster than Lyall's eyes could follow. There was the anger Professor Lyall had been waiting for and, with it a degree of pain and hurt he would never have expected from a vampire. Perhaps he had pushed a little harder than was strictly necessary. Lyall sat still and passive under the choking hold. A vampire could probably rip a werewolf's head clean off, but Lord Akeldama was not the kind of man to such a thing, even in the heat of anger. He was too controlled by age and etiquette to make more than a show of it.
-Blameless by Gail Carriger, chapter 14, page 315

Want to read what happens next...

~~*!~~ Delectable Book Giveaway ~~!*~~

by Gail Carriger

Open to all.

Offer ends: December 26, 2010

Would you like to learn a bit more about Lord Akeldama?

Leave a question for Lord Akeldama AND your email (if I don't already have it) in comments.

fyi: due to pressing engagements, he may answer them in future either here or at author's site


Contest has ended - winner is here


* image source my version of Lord Akeldama

~~*!~~ Dandies & Delectables schedule ~~!*~~


  1. How do you look at this new wave of "I want to be human" vampires?


  2. What do you most like about being a vampire?

  3. Have all her books cos I love them :D
    And Lord Akeldama is so cool

  4. I would love to learn more about Lord Akeldama.
    My question is; Of all the books and trinkets you have appeared on, which is your favorite and why?

  5. How fun! I just bought the book, so don’t count me in.
    My question = (Hey babe, lol) What’s your favourite shoe designer?

    Those books in German are fun. ;)

  6. Which great actor/actress would you have turned into a vampire if you had the chance?

    agcestrela {at} gmail {.} com

  7. Oh I just adored Lord Akeldama in Soulless.

    Any special advice for a vampire dandy in training, Lord Akeldama?

  8. What gadget in the modern age would you love to have?


  9. I LOVE this series. I just finished Changeless and ordered Blameless. Can't wait to read it!
    BTW the German covers are really gorgeous!*__*
    How I wish someone made this series into a tv series or movies!

  10. What attire would you never be caught dead in (um, no pun intended :D)


  11. What is your opinion of Dracula?

  12. Mary D

    Oooh, I loved Soulless! The German covers are really lovely, even though I think I still prefer the American versions!
    Hmmm ... my Q:
    What is your considered opinion on the nature of *sparkling* vampires?

  13. loved the first book


    Q: Is Dorian Gray a supernatural? And if so, where is he?

  14. I love this series! The German covers are fantastic. No need to enter me in the contest as I already own all the books!

    Lord Akeldama is wonderful. He is quite the vampire dandy. I'm excited to check out the podcast of the first chapter! Thanks.

  15. [not an entry; good luck everyone!]

    ;p Lord Akeldama is one of my favorite characters, but I feel like I say that about ALL of the characters in this series! I ♥ it.
    Not sure how I feel about the German covers though. I mean, I like them, but they seem a little more mass market eh to me, whereas the others are so original and iconic.

  16. Do you know any Vampy Eire?

    goncalo (dot) mil (at) gmail (dot) com

  17. My question to Lord A.:
    What is your favorite perfume?

    spamscape [at] gmail [aot] com

  18. This is such a fun series! The German covers are gorgeous. Now I'm wishing I could read German. No need to enter me since I already have this book.

  19. Hi Lord Akeldama, what is your main hobby besides dressing up as a stylish gentleman?

    aikychien at yahoo dot com

  20. What was your favourite neck of all time?

    39.5susy AT gmail DOT com

  21. I think I would just ask "Do you want to be my vampire?".
    I love the character!

    joanapatriciadias [_at_] gmail.com

  22. what's really like to be a vampire ? Are all of those miths true ?

    raluk.93 at gmail (dot) com

  23. ok, so "Who's your dandy?"
    You can just say your favorite dandy you ever met.

    educhico AT gmail DOT com

  24. I luff Akeldama. My question: Plaid -- is it every okay? (What if it's taffeta or silk?)

    thank you for the giveaway!
    unabridgedchick at gmail.com

  25. Do you read vampire fiction?
    Did you like any of the vampires described there?


  26. I haventr ead these at all but im curius what you think of thevampires that sparkle


  27. How will you spend your holiday?

    aleetha.ally at gmail dot com

  28. Lord Akeldama what is your favorite blood type to drink as a vampire?
    caliblue7 at gmail dot com


Imagination Designs
Images from: Lovelytocu