Monday, April 18, 2011

Castle: Gatehouse


After farewells with the knights, we hear a conversation in one of the guard rooms in the Gatehouse.

Let us do a bit of eavesdropping...

~-~-~-~-~ guest ~-~-~-~-~
by Tara Maya
~-~-~-~-~ guest ~-~-~-~-~

A big, muscular man with blue and black tattoos on his cheeks, chest and arms stomps into the room. Before I can begin the interview, he raises a spear and aims the point at my throat.

RTHAN: I am no woman’s slave!

Tara: Whoah, calm down. I never said…

RTHAN: I may have been taken captive in battle and given as a slave to an enemy female, Brena, but, no matter how beautiful or tempting she is, I will never be tamed. I will never forsake allegiance to my own people. And I will never, NEVER rest until I have avenged the deaths of my wife and daughter.

Tara: That’s fine, but…

RTHAN: Kavio may believe peace is possible between my tribe and our ancestral foes, but he is a fool. Or worse, a slippery eel. I suspect everything he has done has been a lie… a scheme to defeat his cousin and re-gain power in the homeland that exiled him.

Tara: So you don’t trust Kavio, but…

RTHAN: No one should trust him. He is half-fae. I don’t deny he wields great power, maybe even greater than my own. But among my people, his kind are Shunned.

Tara: …but what about Brena?

RTHAN: (silent)

~end

Interview with Rthan post created for Fairy Tales in Bruges event by Tara Maya author of The Unfinished Song: Taboo (Book 2)
© 2011. All rights reserved.

~-~-~-~-~ guest ~-~-~-~-~
by Tara Maya
~-~-~-~-~ guest ~-~-~-~-~


Read more about Rthan...

--~ eBook Giveaway courtesy of author ~--

The Unfinished Song:
Taboo (Book 2)
by Tara Maya

signup to win this ebook


~*~

* The Castle Gatehouse was the main entrance to the castle and therefore needed to be heavily guarded. It was defended by at least one portcullis which was a heavy grilled door that dropped vertically down to protect the main entrance. The Castle Gatehouse might also contain murder holes and arrowloops in the side walls. The Gatehouse, or main entrance, would be heavily barred. The Chapel was occasionally built in this vicinity - behind the Gatehouse. The enemy would then be seen to fire on the Chapel as they were attacking the main entrance to the castle - God was seen as being on the side of the Defenders of the castle! -per Part of a Castle

* image source castle gatehouse

***~*~* Fairy Tales in Bruges (the sequel) schedule *~*~***


 
Imagination Designs
Images from: Lovelytocu