Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Healer's Apprentice by Melanie Dickerson

The Healer's Apprentice
by Melanie Dickerson

Published: 2010
Publisher: Zondervan
Genre: Fairy Tale, Historical, Romance, YA
Paperback: 272 pages
Rating: 4

Retelling: Sleeping Beauty

Description from the amazon:
Two Hearts.

One Hope.

Rose has been appointed as a healer's apprentice at Hagenheim Castle, a rare opportunity for a woodcutter's daughter like her. While she often feels uneasy at the sight of blood, Rose is determined to prove herself capable.

Failure will mean returning home to marry the aging bachelor her mother has chosen for her---a bloated, disgusting merchant who makes Rose feel ill.

When Lord Hamlin, the future duke, is injured, it is Rose who must tend to him. As she works to heal his wound, she begins to understand emotions she's never felt before and wonders if he feels the same.

But falling in love is forbidden, as Lord Hamlin is betrothed to a mysterious young woman in hiding. As Rose's life spins toward confusion, she must take the first steps on a journey to discover her own destiny.

My two-bits:
In-a-word(s): appearance
Ah yes, things aren't necessarily what they seem.

Loved the setting and descriptions of this medieval time and of castle living.

Romance plays heavily. Ah love, love triangle, love quadrangle. What's a girl to do?

I was enamored with the main love interest when it was revealed that he played the lute.

PeekAbook:

The Healers Apprentice by Melanie Dickerson Book... by cosproductions

--~ Book Giveaway ~--

signup to win this book
from me at the Book Rat!


~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Contest has ended - winner is here

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

***~*~* Fairy Tales in Bruges (the sequel) schedule *~*~***


32 comments:

  1. Sounds like a strong willed character. I love it!

    Margaret
    singitm@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to reading this - sounds different to the average retelling : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book is on my wish list. I'm looking forward to reading it!

    aikychien at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful cover! And I loved the video! :) Sounds like an awesome read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you enjoyed this. It's been on my wishlist for such a long time. I'm glad it's a decent book :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds really good. I'd love to read it. Thanks for the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Healer's Apprentice sounds very interesting and the trailer is very beautifull !!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a fascinating read :) I love medieval-ish books, castles and girls in long, beautiful dresses! :D *eeek!*

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds really good! I love historical books :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lute? That's a cool instrument.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I must say that I find your review a bit lukewarm.

    Seems you didn,t really find it very good ?

    Carol T

    buddytho {at} gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  12. The lute?! How cool is that. You don't hear that one every day.

    lizzi0915 at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll have to head over to Book Rat and check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. Sounds like a great book. I might have to see if my library has it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This book sounds really intriguing. I already have it on my wishlist!*_*

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am a fan of medieval books. They make me think I live in such a boring time!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Eeeee! This sounds fantastic, I love medieval books!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds really good! Medieval times and love triangles (or quadrangles!): it's just my type of story :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This book sounds really great! Sleeping Beauty has always been my favorite fairy tale!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I so want to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This sounds like a great blended story. Thanks for the review.

    Jules
    onebookshy at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Kind of a vague review, you didn't give anything away. :]
    gonna have to read this then.

    clarkmurdock@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sound like interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'd actually not heard of this book until now; it looks fabulous though!
    Plus the cover is stunning. Simple, and oh, so beautiful.

    rachybee101@live.com.au

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs
Images from: Lovelytocu