Friday, January 21, 2011

Zombie Rot: Maberry on YA and Zombies


For Zombie Rot, here are a some snippets to check out...

Excerpt:
Interview with Jonathan Maberry
by Kristin of My Bookish Ways

MBW: What made you decide to write a YA novel?

JONATHAN MABERRY: I didn’t set out to write one. I was asked to contribute a novella to THE NEW DEAD, a zombie anthology being edited by Christopher Golden for St. Martin’s Griffin. Chris asked the writers to do something a little different –either different in terms of the genre or different in terms of our own writing. I wrote a story about a teenager (which I seldom do) and I set it fourteen years after a zombie apocalypse wiped out most of humanity.

Once the story was finished and turned in, I showed it to my agent, Sara Crowe (of Harvey Klinger, Inc.) She said that it read like the opening to a teen novel. I was surprised, because at the time I had a very outdated view of what teen fiction was like. My agent gave me a list of current YA novels to read. Wow…that was an eye opener. I started with Scott Westerfeld’s THE UGLIES and then Suzanne Collins HUNGER GAMES. Now I devour YA literature. Not just because I’m writing it, but because some of the best fiction going into print right now is on the YA shelves. No doubt about it.


read the rest of the interview here

~*~

Excerpt:
Young Adult Zombie Novels
by Jonathan Maberry

Zombies are today’s hot monster. They’re tearing up the movie and TV screens, shambling through the pages of bests-selling novels and lunging out of the panels of comics books. Now the living dead have begun haunting the Young Adult shelves of bookstores worldwide.

I joined the ranks of YA zombie authors with the release of ROT & RUIN (Simon & Schuster), which just hit bookstores. To celebrate, I asked two of the hottest authors in this new genre to chat with me about what they write…and why.

My guests are Carrie Ryan, author of the red-hot FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH and its exciting sequels and Alden Bell, author of the gripping THE REAPERS ARE THE ANGELS.


read the rest his article here


--/=/=-- Book Giveaway courtesy of author --=\=\=-
Rot & Ruin
by Jonathan Maberry
signup for giveaway


=== Zombie Rot schedule ===


 
Imagination Designs
Images from: Lovelytocu