Saturday, July 3, 2010

Howling at the Moon by Karen MacInerney


Howling at the Moon
by Karen MacInerney
Published: 2008
Paperback: 384 pages
Genre: Werewolves, Mystery, Romance
Rating: 5

Teaser:
It started with a ripple that passed up and down my body, like a warm wave under my skin. My back arched, and the blood pulsed in my veins; suddenly, the smell of the sycamore tree next door exploded into lush life , humid night taking on a thousand new dimensions. I barely had time to get my jacket and blouse off before I was flicking my ears toward the footsteps receding in the distance. My skirt slid onto the front porch as I leaped down to the front walk, leaving my new Pradas adrift on the stoop. A moment later I was thundering down the pavement, trailing my panty hose behind me.

The guy who had smashed my window was about to learn a valuable lesson: If you're going to break into a car, you'd better make sure it doesn't belong to a werewolf.

-chapter 3, page 34

Description from the amazon:
Romance is about to get a little hairy.

Sophie Garou seems to have it all: a great job at a prestigious accounting firm, a closet that rivals a Nordstrom showroom, and a terrific boyfriend who isn’t afraid to use the “M” word. There’s just one little itty-bitty problem: Sophie is a werewolf–and her time of month has a whole new meaning.

Needless to say, life among yummy flesh-and-blood humans is no piece of steak . . . er, cake!, but regular doses of wolfsbane tea and a mother who runs a magic shop have helped Sophie keep her paranormal pedigree under wraps.

Still, when a sexy, golden-eyed werewolf prowls into town, Sophie finds herself struggling to keep her animal impulses in check–not to mention trying to keep things on track with her super hot (and super human) lawyer boyfriend.

What’s more, someone is threatening to expose Sophie for what she really is. And when her mother is accused of selling a poison-laced potion, Sophie must sniff out a culprit before the fur hits the fan.

Tales of an Urban Werewolf Series:
Howling at the Moon
On the Prowl
Leader of the Pack

My two-bits:
In-a-word(s): werewolf bouquet

A fun and lighter side of female werewolf action with a touch of mystery and romance. Also, hilarious moments with transformations as you can tell from the teaser I posted above.

This is one gal I look forward to following along. She is half human and half werewolf with a witch for a mother. Her father had skipped out of town when she was but a babe, so she doesn't know too much about the protocols of werewolfdom. This book finds her learning more about her heritage.

Interesting to note how the sense of SMELL is emphasized throughout the book. Gives a real sense of what it would be like to be a werewolf living amongst humans.

Zombie sighting:
Or on a double date at Pirates of the Carribean. (Remember that part where the zombie things pop up on the screen? Well, the audience--and Heath--almost got more than what they bargained for that Friday night.)
-chapter 5, page 58

~*~


* part of Werewolf Weekend (see schedule)

 
Imagination Designs
Images from: Lovelytocu