Monday, August 10, 2009

Pride and Prejudice comic #2 of 5

Pride & Prejudice #2 (of 5)
Writer: Nancy Butler

Cover by: Dennis Calero
Pencils: Hugo Petrus
Inks: Hugo Petrus
Lettered by: Dave Sharpe
Published: May 2009
Genre: Graphic Novel
Paper comic: 7 pages
Rating: 4

Inspiration: Everything Austen Challenge hosted by Stephanie's Written Word
This makes 12 of the 12 for the challenge. However, I'll continue along until the end date to see how far I can get.

Best cover blurb: Does Darcy Deem Dames Detestable? (don't dare delay!)

Description from the publisher:
What is UP with that Darcy guy? Dude’s just being a jerk. Forget it, Lizzy, better to spend time with the cute military man that just rode into town…

My thoughts:
In-a-word(s): other fish in the sea

What's going on? Why am I reviewing comic book 2 before book 1?
On a whim, I stepped into a local comic books store to see if they carried the Pride and Prejudice comic book mini-series which I had heard about earlier this year. I was planning on waiting for the graphic novel which will compile the 5 comics into one. It is due to come out this September. Upon spying comic books 2 to 4, I was compelled to get them. Comic book 1 was sold out. boo hoo. So, I still need to procure it. I haven't had a chance to check out the other comic book stores in the area, but will soon. BTW, the 5th and final issue will be released this week --> August 12, 2009.

What compelled me? The illustrations and vibrant colors! Loved how Lizzie was portrayed - sexy and sassy. Also, loved the "modern take" of the Regency period - costumes and scenes.
This issue presents the three possible love interests for Lizzie. Mr. Collins, Mr. Wickham and Mr. Darcy make their appearances and shake up Lizzie's world.

Mr. Collins looked a bit younger than what we're used to seeing in the movie versions. He reminded me more of a goober than a jerk.

Mr. Wickham looked wickedly smexy (as Liyana would say).

Mr. Darcy looked rugged. I'm on the fence if I like this look on him.

Although the comic book was short and sweet as comic books are, it captures the beloved basic P&P storyline pretty well with its images and limited text. Of course, for the meat of the story you gotta read the original work.

Like Missyisms, I'm waiting for a Jane Austen Legos playset. Or better yet, Kubrick toy versions.

Series:
Pride & Prejudice #1
Pride & Prejudice #2
Pride & Prejudice #3
Pride & Prejudice #4
Pride & Prejudice #5


Here is a sample panel to get an idea of the comic book innards. It is Lizzie and Wickham at the Netherfield ball. To see a few more panels and for a larger image go here.






 
Imagination Designs
Images from: Lovelytocu