Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The Young Victoria

The Young Victoria
Directed by: Jean-Marc Vallée
Written by: Julian Fellowes

movie release date (US): December 18, 2009

Emily Blunt as Young Victoria
Rupert Frient as Prince Albert

Description from imdb:
A dramatization of the turbulent first years of Queen Victoria's rule, and her enduring romance with Prince Albert.

Here's another historical piece I'd love to see on the big screen. Again for the scenes, sounds, costumes, etc.


Film Quote:

Princess Victoria: Do you ever feel like a chess piece yourself? In a game being played against your will.

Prince Albert: Do you?

Princess Victoria: Constantly. I see them leaning in and moving me around the board.

Prince Albert: The Duchess and Sir John?

Princess Victoria: Not just them. Uncle Leopold. The king. I'm sure half the politicians are ready to seize hold of my skirts and drag me from square to square.

Prince Albert: Then you had better master the rules of the game until you play it better than they can.

Princess Victoria: You don't recommend I find a husband to play it for me?

Prince Albert: I should find one to play it with you, not for you.



Those of you interested in things Victorian check out the free online Victoriana Magazine.

And, the info page on Young Victoria on squidoo is an interesting source.


My two bits:
Yay! got to watch this on 12.19.09.

Loved it. Definitely met my expectations with costumes, scenery, romance, Victorian mode, &c.

Interesting to learn that Queen Victoria had to make the marriage proposal versus anyone asking for her hand.

Makes me want to learn more about Victoria and how she ruled with Prince Albert.

******************
updated: 12.22.09
******************
 
Imagination Designs
Images from: Lovelytocu