Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Giver
by Lois Lowry

Published: 1993
Genre: Dystopia, Fantasy, SciFi
Paperback: 192 pages
Rating: 5

Description from the amazon:
Jonas's world is perfect. Everything is under control. There is no war or fear of pain. There are no choices. Every person is assigned a role in the community. When Jonas turns 12 he is singled out to receive special training from The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of the true pain and pleasure of life. Now, it is time for Jonas to receive the truth. There is no turning back.


My two-bits:
In-a-word: stirring

Whoa. I can see why this is among the classics.

This book is a good way to start off with if you're new to the dystopia genre. Actually, a must-read.

In this future world, the question of whether or not things are better off prevails which is in keeping with the dystopia genre.

There were a couple subjects among many others touched upon that grabbed me while reading this. One was mentorship between elders and children. The other subject I was left to ponder was the importance of memories.

Series:
The Giver
Gathering Blue
The Messenger

*part of my Dystopia challenge
*part of my Newbery challenge
*source The Giver illustration by J. Michael Stovall

11 comments:

  1. I love The Giver. I've read that book so many times and I never get tired of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a while since I read this, but remember really enjoying it. I'll have to read it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a series? I had no idea! I plan to read this sometime over New Year. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this again recently and I adored it. So good. This reminds me I still need to read (for the first time) the sequels, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, I loved this book! It was scary thought provoking. I thought the best question raised was one we are being faced with now: the value of life. Taking care of our elders and protecting the unborn.
    I didn't know it part of a series (slaps forehead). Thanks for bringing that to my attention, V! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just borrowed this from my sis in law. I'm looking forward to reading it! I just hope it ends with a bit of hope unlike 1984...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this one. I read it at a point where I'd been steeping myself in sappy romances, and it brought me out of the phase with a bang. Also made me cry a lot. Great, great book. Yay, dystopia! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Havent read this one, but it does sounds very interesting and maybe even informative about the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the recommendation, I've never read too much in the dystopia genre - but this sounds both thought provoking and intriguing. Another one to add to my mile long TBR list :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember this book so well, though I think I must have been in sixth grade when I read it. I only recently found out that there are sequels, but I'm not sure if I want to read them. I liked the way The Giver ended.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My son insisted on reading this book to me, he loves it so much. It is stirring....

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs
Images from: Lovelytocu