Saturday, February 12, 2011

Importance of Novellas by Karen Metcalf


~-~-~-~-~ guest ~-~-~-~-~
by Karen Metcalf
~-~-~-~-~ guest ~-~-~-~-~

One thing that seems to stand out about IN THE STORM, is its length. I am often asked why I chose to leave it so short, and not extend. I thought I would provide the long(er) answer.

When I finished writing IN THE STORM, I already knew it was extremely short. As a novella, it is too long for a short story, too short for a novel. And for the most part, un-publishable. It was suggested that I try to have it published with a few short stories, but I didn’t want that. It was suggested that I try to lengthen it. I felt that anything I added would just be fluff and detract from my story. It was suggested that I give up. I didn’t.

I kept researching why novellas are so rare. When I thought about it, some of my favorite stories were actually novellas. Stephen King has written several that were turned into full length movies, to include The Body, which was re-titled Stand By Me for the movie version. I am also a huge fan of I am Legend, another novella that was originally published as a collection of stories by Richard Matheson. I started to wonder why others, better authors than I, would write novellas.

My personal theory is that novellas tend to include the most important part of someone’s life. There might not be a huge back story or introduction. There might not be happy ending, or it might end suddenly. Novellas are only glimpses into a character’s life. Whatever happens is typically something life-altering. No matter the ending, this something made this person who they are. I think this is why they are so enjoyable. For some characters, that life changing event just didn’t stretch out for months or years. It was a story that could easily be told in less than a hundred pages. At least this was the case for Carly.

I do think people are recognizing the value of novellas; my publisher, Vagabondage Press, for instance. I likely would never have been given a shot by anyone else. I hope you will give IN THE STORM a shot, too. And if you happen to take a chance on the next novella that comes your way, all the better.

~end

~-~-~-~-~ guest ~-~-~-~-~
by Karen Metcalf
~-~-~-~-~ guest ~-~-~-~-~


--/=/=-- eBook Giveaway courtesy of author --=\=\=-

signup for giveaway


-o0o- love potion schedule -o0o-


 
Imagination Designs
Images from: Lovelytocu