Saturday, October 25, 2014

Bookish Games: Ready Player One edition

Bookish Games: Ready Player One edition
hosted by Oh, The Books!
details here
starts October 25, 2014

About Bookish Games:

The Bookish Games is a feature that Asti started while blogging at A Bookish Heart. It combines various books (usually YA) and Mafia to create an online interactive bookish game that takes place every couple of months.

Basically, there are the good guys and the bad guys. The bad guys have a smaller team but have the advantage of knowing the identity of their teammates. The good guys have a larger team, but know nothing other than their own personal identity. Each “Day” all players, good and bad, get together as one group and vote for one person to eliminate from the game. (The bad guys use this as their opportunity to sway the good guys to voting off one of their own, while the good guys use this time to try and figure out which side everyone is on based on what they say and how they vote.) Then, each “Night”, the bad guys get another chance to wreak havoc by communicating in a private chatroom and targeting one person to kill off in the game. more details here


~*~

THIS edition is based on the book...

Ready Player One
by Ernest Cline
Amazon | Goodreads | Website

In the year 2044, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he's jacked into the virtual utopia known as the OASIS. Wade's devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world's digital confines—puzzles that are based on their creator's obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them.

But when Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade's going to survive, he'll have to win—and confront the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.


~*~

My two-bits:

Thought I would try something new in the internet world that was bookish related. This will be my first time at a role play sort of game. I will post below on some commentary on how it goes.

I hope I don't get knocked out too early during its run. Wish me luck ;-)

Oct 25-29, DAY 1:
Folks checked in with hello's. I put in my first comment. Players are required to post at least twice. And, I randomly voted someone off for the heck of it. Also, to see what happens when the process of elimination begins.

Decided to cancel my first vote - going on a gut feeling.

Voted for a person that was not commenting to see if that person would come forward in defense. But, not a peep from that person. Could be that person forgot about the game or decided not to participate. Curious.

Not much talk about the book. One person threw out the question of favorite characters. I said James Halliday (excluding Wade, the protagonist, an automatic like for me).

Oct 25-29, DAY 1:
Whew! I survived DAY 1. Yay, me.
Can't get too comfy though because apparently the first day is mostly due to random votes. And, I think non-commenters tend to get voted off as a couple people followed suit and voted for the same person.

Nov 1-5, DAY 2:


My character was voted out.

I found out that I was: Poltergeist, Team Gunters, Townie.

Now I am relegated to the dead zone and can chat with other offed characters about the game in play.

Nov 6-12, DAY 3:

I plan on keeping tabs to see how the game progresses. Mostly curious as who turns out to be on the mafia team.

Nov 12-29, DAY 5:

I have been undercover as another player. As two of the players were disqualified due to inactivity I was asked if I wanted to rejoin the game as a replacement. I entered the fray as Claire.

I did better and managed to live through today final ending in which I came out to be one of the winners. Wooot!

My character was revealed to be Amadeus, Team Gunter. And, I was given a special artifact after the Day 5 day killing, Fyndoro’s Tablet of Finding (Tracker - able to investigate one person each Night to determine who that person targeted, if any). But as the game ended, I didn't get to try out my superpower.


~*~

Bookish Games: Ready Player Two
hosted by Oh, The Books!
details here
starts December 6, 2014

As the game ended faster than normal with a triple kill session. The gamemaster is offering to reboot the game if enough contestants enter.

Although stressful at times, it was interesting to see how everything played out. And, I am curious to give it another go. So, I signed up for another bout of the Bookish Games.

Please sign up if you think this might be a fun diversion for the holidays as signups are currently open with 3 more slots to fill.

Dec 13-17, DAY 1:

I posted my first comment on the 14th. A bit late due to the weekend holiday frenzy. Looks to be quite lively this round with extra long comments and people already defending themselves.

Dec 20-24, DAY 2:

My character was voted out. And my Team Sixer, bad guy character, was revealed.


 
Imagination Designs
Images from: Lovelytocu