Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Wicked Lovely: Desert Tales by Melissa Marr

Wicked Lovely: Desert Tales
Volume 1: Sanctuary
by Melissa Marr

Genre: Graphic Novel, Fantasy
Published: 2009
Paperback: 176 pages
Rating: 4

Inspiration: I loved the Wicked Lovely novel and was curious about this graphic novel.


Description from the book
:
Discover Melissa Marr's mesmerizing world of Faerie . . .

The desert is far away from the schemes of the Faerie Courts—and that's how Rika likes it. Once a mortal and now a faery, Rika seeks isolation and revels in her ability to appear invisible to humans. Then, she meets him. Artistic and kind, Jayce is the last person Rika wants to hide from.

But change is coming, challenging Rika's freedom and her new romance, as her past pursues her, even into the heart of the desert. . . .

My thoughts:
In-a-word(s): Desert Fae
So we see Keenan as a manga graphic image! Cool. I thought this book was a great way to portray the fae world. Per Wicked Lovely theme, it goes into a budding love relationship between human and fairy all set in a desert environment. It's volume 1 of a series so we're left with a cliffhanger. However, I loved the images and the storyline so far. Looking forward to volume 2.

19 comments:

  1. Wow- I didn't know this existed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I'll have to tell Orchid about this (assuming she doesn't already know about it)! She really likes this series and she's a HUGE manga fan!
    Great review, V!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm unfamiliar with this author but I would like to give her books a try. Thank you for the review and the fact that you are looking forward to the next tells me a lot about the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never read any manga, and this sounds too cute! The only "manga" I've read are Sailor Moon magazines. :P
    I love faeries, and I think I'd like this :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know the author at all and I haven't read a lot of manga.

    Not sure if I like the idea of a human being able to change into a fairy though.

    Seems to debase fairies somewhat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like Ella I never ever tried Manga, but I am willing to try. I read the book, but reading it in Manga form with lots of beautiful pictures I'm in! :)
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's pretty cool. It seems every big series out now is doing the graphic novels.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is something I want to read. It looks interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds very interesting! Never had tried Manga, but I would really love to! I think I would love this book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was a finalist for the Cybils this year, but I didn't get the chance to read it. I've heard mixed things about this, so thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds great. I haven't gotten into much manga yet,but I always meant to try it. This might be a good thing for me to start with!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never heard of author before now nor this book. I did enjoy your review and think I will have to read this and see if I want to read more. Thanks for the terrific review.

    misskallie2000 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh! I've seen this at the bookstore and I will agree! It's cute! :) Plus the desert setting is unique! And fey are nice to draw.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The fairy books that I have read have been set in lush green forests.The desert setting seems interesting..!I truly want to read this book.Thanks for the lovely review!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the review... this looks like a great spin on the traditional faery story! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never read any manga, but I like the storyline, and I'm curious so would love to give it a go and see what I think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had no idea they made a graphic novel! I liked the first two books, and it sounds good from your review.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm a huge manga fan and this book sounds great! Thanks for the review!

    aikychien at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs
Images from: Lovelytocu