Sunday, May 17, 2009

Author Reading: Cheryl Renee Herbsman


Debutant Ball Spring 2009 post event thoughts on:

Cheryl Renee Herbsman author of Breathing.

Cheryl's website

Check out event pictures from Cheryl's site.

Book trailer: The Compulsive Reader

Book cover meaning: Malinda Lo



Book reviews
:

my review

And Another Book Read / The Book Girl Reviews / Em's Bookshelf

Hope's Bookshelf / Lauren's Crammed Bookshelf / Reading Keeps You Sane

The Story Siren

Author interviews:

Authors Now! / In Bed With Books / Want My YA

The Story Siren

Feel free to comment below with your review links.


Cheryl was beautiful with her lovely dangly chandelier earrings. She started off the debut author trio by reading a passage from her book where the two main characters meet for the second time. She read with a southern accent which helped draw the audience into the story. Later Cheryl mentioned that although she wrote her characters with southern dialect it does not necessarily mean that they were not educated.





Here is just a snippet of what Cheryl read (hardcover, page 19):

I turn to look and there he is, staring right at me from up by the snack shack. Some kind of crazy zingy feeling goes shooting right on up my chest. I should have brung my inhaler--all the sudden my breathing is clunky. Hell 'n' high water, he's headed this way. And he's got that big ol' smile plastered on his face like I'm his long-lost best friend. And I haven't a clue what his long-lost best friend would say. I drop my bike down in the sand beside me.

"Hey," he says, just like last time.

Ah, hell. "Hey," I reply, promising myself that no matter what happens I will not run off like a baby.

Afterwards during the Q&A session, it was interesting to learn that Cheryl's first writing efforts was with the fantasy genre.

Thanks for the reading, Cheryl!
 
Imagination Designs
Images from: Lovelytocu