Monday, May 31, 2021

Wrap-up: May 2021

~*~
Check Please!
volume 1: Hockey
by Ngozi Ukazu
Graphic Novel, YA, LGBTQ | Published: 2018 | Goodreads | my rating: 5
adorable characters with general feel good vibes

Helloooo, Internet Land. Bitty here!

Y’all... I might not be ready for this. I may be a former junior figure skating champion, vlogger extraordinaire, and very talented amateur pâtissier, but being a freshman on the Samwell University hockey team is a whole new challenge. It’s nothing like co-ed club hockey back in Georgia! First of all? There’s checking. And then, there is Jack—our very attractive but moody captain.

A collection of the first half of the megapopular webcomic series of the same name, Check, Please!: #Hockey is the first book of a hilarious and stirring two-volume coming-of-age story about hockey, bros, and trying to find yourself during the best four years of your life.


Check Please!
volume 2: Sticks and Scones
by Ngozi Ukazu
Graphic Novel, YA, LGBTQ | Published: 2020 | Goodreads | my rating: 5
continues to be adorable with happy finale

I'm a junior on the Samwell men's hockey team now, and not only do I have new teammates and new responsibilities and new pies to bake... I've got a new beau. ( Remember me ) Believe me: Dating a professional hockey player wasn't anything I expected to do in college. My parents don't know; my teammates have no clue...

And Jack and I aren't sure that we want to keep it a secret.


The Wife and The Widow
by Christian White
Mystery, Thriller, Australia | Published: 2020 | Goodreads | my rating: 5
cool character twist, ooh that guilty conscious

Set against the backdrop of an eerie island town in the dead of winter, The Wife and The Widow is an unsettling thriller told from two perspectives: Kate, a widow whose grief is compounded by what she learns about her dead husband’s secret life; and Abby, an island local whose world is turned upside when she’s forced to confront the evidence of her husband’s guilt. But nothing on this island is quite as it seems, and only when these women come together can they discover the whole story about the men in their lives. Brilliant and beguiling, The Wife and The Widow takes you to a cliff edge and asks the question: how well do we really know the people we love?
~*~
* books not previously listed on book club or challenge posts

 
Imagination Designs
Images from: Lovelytocu