Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Thoughts about Paris from Blodeuedd


The clock has struck NOON in Paris and we meet Blodeuedd at the Eiffel Tower.

The Eiffel Tower (French: La Tour Eiffel, nickname La dame de fer, the iron lady) is a puddled iron lattice tower located on the Champ de Mars in Paris. Built in 1889 as the entrance arch to the 1889 World's Fair, it has become both a global cultural icon of France and one of the most recognizable structures in the world. The tower is the tallest building in Paris and the most-visited paid monument in the world; millions of people ascend it every year. It is named after the engineer Gustave Eiffel, whose company designed and built the tower.
-per wikipedia
~-~-~-~-~ guest ~-~-~-~-~
by Blodeuedd
~-~-~-~-~ guest ~-~-~-~-~

When I first heard about writing about Paris I was all for it. The city of light and love. But the more I thought about it the more I realized that I seldom actually read about Paris. Why is this? I have no idea at all.

But you shall never say never. I did read a book about Paris this year: Paris, My Sweet: A year in the city of light (and dark chocolate) by Amy Thomas.

The book made me crave macarons so much that I went looking for them but found none at all! My heart was broken, but I shall eat a macaron one day. From this book I got an appreciation for Paris in a whole another way. If I ever went there I would try the chocolate, macarons, a nice fresh baguette and everything else. Paris the city of food and this book was the perfect example of that as it was about Amy’s own time in Paris.


That was it, I went back and looked at books I have read..and then I looked again. Nothing. How did this happen? Shouldn’t I at least have read a nice romance novel set there? I guess not. For some reason the books about Paris have escaped my attention. When I even now can recall a book that I do want to try out, Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins as so many have raved about it. Well, at least I want to read a book about Paris.


So books were not it. Tough luck there. How about movies then? Oh yes. Here I struck luck and realized that I should just have written a review of a movie. How about Moulin Rouge! And the lovely Amélie. And most recently Midnight in Paris. Ok so that movie did not wow me but I did find it very cool that he went back in time and saw the great era of Paris, and how people then found another era great. Which is so true, we always do look back. There you go, watch it, I am not gonna say that you will fall in love, but for the fun of it it’s a movie that can be watched (still if you are going to watch a movie set in Paris then pick Amélie. You must watch that one.)

What have I learned? I don’t know anything about Paris. Sure I have read books where they briefly land in Paris, drive through Paris, talk about Paris, but spend the entire book in Paris? No, not that often. Maybe Paris has not called on me as much as I thought it would. But would I like to go there? Of course…macaroooooons!

~end


Guest post created by Blodeuedd of Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell
© 2012. All rights reserved.

~-~-~-~-~ guest ~-~-~-~-~
by Blodeuedd
~-~-~-~-~ guest ~-~-~-~-~


~*~

* leave a comment to be eligible to win this book

* image source The Eiffel Tower by Georges Seurat

-*&*- Paris at Noon schedule -*&*-

 
Imagination Designs
Images from: Lovelytocu