Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Day at the Louvre from AimeeKay


The clock has struck NOON in Paris and we meet AimeeKay at the Louvre.

The Musée du Louvre —in English, the Louvre Museum or simply the Louvre—is one of the world's largest museums, the most visited art museum in the world and a historic monument. A central landmark of Paris, France, it is located on the Right Bank of the Seine in the 1st arrondissement (district). Nearly 35,000 objects from prehistory to the 19th century are exhibited over an area of 60,600 square metres (652,300 square feet).
-per wikipedia

~-~-~-~-~ guest ~-~-~-~-~
by AimeeKay
~-~-~-~-~ guest ~-~-~-~-~

Lucky V!!! Getting to see Notre Dame! The Eiffel Tower! The LOUVRE!!!

One of my favorite books that I've read recently, 13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson, has a great part that takes place in the city of lights. It makes me want to check out the cemeteries as well as the local cafes. Seriously, you wouldn't believe how many famous people are buried in Paris.


So right about the time I heard about V looking for some people to do guest posts about Paris I also found The Anchor Book of French Quotations by Norbert Guterman.


The book itself isn't new, but the quotes inside are timeless. The book is both in English and French, with the French quotes on the left and the English translations on the facing page. Plus the quotes are chronologically as well as by author.

I really enjoyed exploring some of France's most famous writers, even if it was only a small bite at a time. I wanted to share some of the quotes regarding Paris:

~*~
"To Paris no place else compares"
~~~Eustache Deschamps

~*~

"Prince, to the ladies of Paris
For for speaking well award the prize;
Italian women have their points,
But for quick tongues, give me Paris.
~~~Francois Villon

~*~

Paris is surely worth a Mass.
~~~Henri IV

~*~

Outside Paris there is no salvation for a gentleman.
~~~Moliere (Jean Baptiste Poquelin)


There were many other beautiful and insightful quotes in The Anchor Book of French Quotations. However I would have to do at least 3 more posts to share all the ones that I found especially intriguing. I was also toying with the idea of giving away my copy of the book itself to one lucky reader. However my daughter, who has decided to take French next year, has already laid claim to the book. Sorry!

So to make up for it I am going to give away an e-copy of 13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson to a lucky winner!

Since the main place I would like to visit in Paris if I was given the chance is the Louvre. I would like you to tell me one thing, be it a painting, sculpture, etc., that you would like to see that is in the Louvre.

If you ever get a chance to pick up a copy of The Anchor Book of French Quotations I definitely recommend it!

~end

Guest post created by AimeeKay of Reviews From My First Reads Shelf
© 2012. All rights reserved.

~-~-~-~-~ guest ~-~-~-~-~
by AimeeKay
~-~-~-~-~ guest ~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Contest has ended - winner is here

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~*~

* giveaway offer ends: July 8, 2012

* image source The Louvre Museum

-*&*- Paris at Noon schedule -*&*-

 
Imagination Designs
Images from: Lovelytocu