Sunday, March 25, 2012

Book Appeal: The Wicked and the Just by J. Anderson Coats

The Wicked and the Just
by J. Anderson Coats
Historical, YA

Cecily’s father has ruined her life. He’s moving them to occupied Wales, where the king needs good strong Englishmen to keep down the vicious Welshmen. At least Cecily will finally be the lady of the house.

Gwenhwyfar knows all about that house. Once she dreamed of being the lady there herself, until the English destroyed the lives of everyone she knows. Now she must wait hand and foot on this bratty English girl.

While Cecily struggles to find her place amongst the snobby English landowners, Gwenhwyfar struggles just to survive. And outside the city walls, tensions are rising ever higher—until finally they must reach the breaking point.


~*~

J. Anderson Coats's YA debut, The Wicked and the Just, releases April 17.

Her fun facts:
1. I spent part of my childhood in South Australia.
2. I've been a mile underground.
3. I've held Lewis and Clark's original handwritten journal.

NOTE: Giveaway for this book...

April 1-- April 12 on the The Class of 2k12 Facebook page.

The discussion question is: Who is your favorite author and why?

Come join in the discussion for a chance to win J. Anderson Coats's The Wicked and the Just!

~*~


Entry for The Hunger Games Giveaway: (details here)

In comments below TELL ME which of the three points appeals to you regarding this book...

1. Title

2. Cover

3. Description


OPTIONAL - for an extra entry you can also leave a comment or question for the author

~*~


* in celebration of the release weekend of the film version of Hunger Games

District 12
get your free ID card
for The Hunger Games


17 comments:

  1. Oh, looks interesting. This time it was the title which made me stop and read the blurb,e specially written in that beautiful calligraphy :-)

    I would like to ask, what were you doing one mile underground? I would love to hear more about that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The calligraphy is very striking, isn't it?

      I worked at a silver mine for a while, and I went underground on the cage with the geologists on occasion.

      Delete
    2. Ooh, thank you for the explanation! :-)

      And yes, very striking!

      Delete
  2. Very interesting facts. Especially the one about being one mile underground. I wonder where she had that "adventure" :)

    This time it's the cover that appeals to me the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is wonderfully dramatic - I love the colors!

      I was a mile underground when I worked at a silver mine, but not every day. Mostly I carried and stacked boxes of rocks!

      Delete
  3. I really like the title, and the blog just helped make me want to read it more.

    I want to know why she was underground too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The title took a lot of brainstorming, but I'm delighted with what I arrived at.

      When I worked at a silver mine, I sometimes went underground with the geologists.

      Delete
  4. I love the cover. It is interesting, I love the colors & I love the script.

    South Australia is HOT in Summer.

    I would like to know the origins for the name Gwenhwyfar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing I remember best is the beach. I'm not sure little kids notice the heat!

      Gwenhwyfar is an old Welsh name, but I have to confess I don't know the exact origins. It's often connected with the Arthurian stories as "Guinevere" and the modern "Jennifer."

      Delete
  5. I think the cover is intriguing here because everything is shrouded in shadows and I would love to know where the girl is going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree that the cover is intriguing! Where is she going? I think that depends on which of the two narrators you think she is.

      Delete
  6. The title.

    Does the author have UK roots?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, not a one! My ancestors are almost all Vikings - Swedes and Norwegians. It explains my high tolerance to hot water and my persistent interest in the British Isles! :)

      Delete
  7. The title.

    Please tell us the story of how you held Lewis and Clark's original handwritten journal?

    Where did you manage to go a mile underground?

    Sarah

    sarah DOT setar AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was in library school, I took a series of courses in archival methodology, and we went into the vaults of the American Philosophical Society in Philadelphia to learn to handle rare and unique items. That was one of them.

      I went a mile underground when I worked in a silver mine. It was darn hot down there!

      Delete
  8. I really liked the title. It stands out from a lot of books out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It took me a while to find the right one, but I'm really happy with it!

      Delete

 
Imagination Designs
Images from: Lovelytocu