Sunday, March 25, 2012

Book Appeal: The Star by Javi Araguz and Isabel Hierro

La Estrella (The Star)
by Javi Araguz and Isabel Hierro
-Dystopia, YA

The boy’s eyes glittered so strongly, presaging an imminent rupture of The Quietude.

Lan was perfectly aware of the prohibition of touching a Star Walker, but right now there was no turning back as their fates had inevitably been sealed off.

Centuries ago a catastrophe turned Linde into a hostile place; since then, the survivors have learned to live in isolation within the boundaries of the Safe Limits. But, the planet is constantly subjected to a change in shape and people are lost, never return.

After a violent planetary transformation, Lan, a courageous girl from Salvia clan, wakes up in the middle of the desert, only to be rescued by her worst enemy.

A young man marked by a curse.

A village hiding the biggest secret ever to be kept.

A love as dangerous as it is impossible.

A world whose surface is forever undergoing changes… when getting lost is the equivalent of death.


NOTE from authors:
We are working in promoting our work and would like to reach all fans of English-speaking YA novels lit. “The Star” is published now in twenty Spanish-speakers countries, and in 2012 will be publish in Brazil (Portuguese) too, but not yet in English.

Join in to help get this book published in other languages here!


Entry for The Hunger Games Giveaway: (details here)

In comments below TELL ME which of the three points appeals to you regarding this book...

1. Title

2. Cover

3. Description

OPTIONAL - for an extra entry you can also leave a comment or question for the author


* in celebration of the release weekend of the film version of Hunger Games


  1. I love the blurb and the cover. :)
    This book sounds really amazing, and I hope it will get published in English, too.

  2. I really love the cover on this one!

    (the blurbs good too of course)

    I went and requested the book to be translated to english! Hope it can be translated soon!

  3. The cover draws me in for "La Estrella (The Star", which brings me to my question: does it reflect the story well?

  4. I don't know about the title because it doesnt say much but I love the cover because it's stark and intriguing. What are those sparkly lights that's raining down on the model? I'd love to know!

    The description has a great sense of lyrism and the log line is one of the best I've seen.

  5. All 3 draw me in!

    Javi or Isabel, what is your favorite science fiction novel or movie?

  6. Ditto, all three grabbed my attention, too!

    But especially the description - it blew me away ... maybe because it painted such a vivid world, but it all come together to make me really curious about the Safe Limits, a changed world, and Lan waking up in the middle of a desert :O

    My Q to the authors: Will The Star be a stand-alone or is a series planned?

  7. Definitely the cover! It makes me curious about the story. Though I like the title, the font in my opinion doesn't fit the cover :-/

    How did you come to cowrite a book?

    stella.exlibris (at) gmail (dot) com

  8. The title had me curious at first, but it's definitely the unusual cover that got my attention.

    My Q to the writers:

    What are some of the challenges faced in co-writing this book?


    sarah DOT setar AT gmail DOT com

  9. @marybelle We try to reflect the story with simplicity. Most people tell us they are afraid that story was not in the same level than the cover, but after reading it they says that is perfect. We work very hard to achieve that result. Have you seen the cover making of?

    @fredamans I (Javi) love "Back to the future" trilogy, it's awesome! And Isabel likes "Blade Runner". Well ... really we are a huge fans of fantasy and sci-fi movies. And novels... "The princess bride", "Map of time", Terry Pratchett's books. I don't know, we read a lot!

    @M.A.D. "The Star" is a standalone book, but I can tell you that while we were working we came up a lot of ideas for a sequel. Maybe one day we continue the story, but this book can be read independently.

    @Stella @IdentitySeeker Co-writing a book is not easy, because there are two minds launching ideas, but we are a couple with very similar tastes. We are very pleased with the experience and currently we are writting our second book together (something very diferent than "The Star", but a YA novel too).

  10. Ok, by far the cover is my favorite. I mean, wow!

  11. I speak Spanish and just read the book this week and is a wonderful story and the ending is sad, but I think it is perfect, I hope soon you can read it in English, I recommend a lot. :)

  12. I speak Spanish and just read the book this week and is a wonderful story and the ending is sad, but I think it is perfect, I hope soon you can read it in English, I recommend a lot. :)


Imagination Designs
Images from: Lovelytocu