Sunday, March 25, 2012

Book Appeal: Revealing Eden by Victoria Foyt

Revealing Eden
Save the Pearls Part One
by Victoria Foyt
-Fantasy, YA

Eden Newman must mate before her 18th birthday in six months or she'll be left outside to die in a burning world. But who will pick up her mate-option when she's cursed with white skin and a tragically low mate-rate of 15%?

In a post-apocalyptic, totalitarian, underground world where class and beauty are defined by resistance to an overheated environment, Eden's coloring brands her as a member of the lowest class, a weak and ugly Pearl. If only she can mate with a dark-skinned Coal from the ruling class, she'll be safe.

Just maybe one Coal sees the Real Eden and will be her salvation her co-worker Jamal has begun secretly dating her. But when Eden unwittingly compromises her father's secret biological experiment, she finds herself in the eye of a storm and thrown into the last area of rainforest, a strange and dangerous land.

Eden must fight to save her father, who may be humanity's last hope, while standing up to a powerful beast-man she believes is her enemy, despite her overwhelming attraction. Eden must change to survive but only if she can redefine her ideas of beauty and of love, along with a little help from her "adopted aunt" Emily Dickinson.


~*~

Interesting blog posts from Eden...

Apocalypse world tips—how to kill zombies safely and efficiently

Eliminating zombies apocalypse world style

~*~


Entry for The Hunger Games Giveaway: (details here)

In comments below TELL ME which of the three points appeals to you regarding this book...

1. Title

2. Cover

3. Description


OPTIONAL - for an extra entry you can also leave a comment or question for the author

~*~


* in celebration of the release weekend of the film version of Hunger Games

see more Hunger Games
fan movie posters here


18 comments:

  1. I love the description! I like reading post-apocalyptic books, and Revealing Eden sounds really interesting. :)

    Loved Eden's tips :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this book before, and I REALLY like the description, though I have to admit that the cover caught my eye first of course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The description says I MUST READ.

    My question: I get about Pearls & Coals; are there just the two classes of race?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marybelle! Every race exists, though Coals are in the majority. All races have "earthy names," like Tiger's Eye for Latinos, or Amber for Asians.

      Delete
  4. I think in this case the description trumps both cover and title, though I must say those freaky cat eyes draw me in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The title.

    Victoria, what made you decide to use Emily Dickenson as a character?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question fredamans! I thought to myself, 'what greater contrast could I provide to Eden's loveless, tech driven world than to use the passionate, yearning poems of Dickinson?' Honestly, I didn't plan it. While I was writing, one of her poems just popped into my head. That was a good day!

      Delete
  6. Honestly, the description did it for me!! And that *powerful beast man* sure grabbed my, um, ... interest :D

    Gonna go check out those zombie tips ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can never be prepared enough for the zombie apocalypse M.A.D... :)

      Delete
  7. Definitely the description! The cover sadly doesn't do anything for me and the title doesn't seem that unique to catch my eye. But the blurb piqued my interest!

    What is your favourite poem by Emily Dickenson?

    stella.exlibris (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wild Nights! It's so sexy in a raw but poetic way. "Rowing in Eden! / Ah! the Sea! / Might I but moor / To-night in thee!" Yes!

      Delete
  8. The description definitely caught my attention and held it.

    My question to the authors:

    Why the addition of Emil Dickinson? I found that particularly curious, as I'm not sure whether it refers to the historical figure and poet (adding a time-travel element to the story) or whether a character in the book is named after her for some specific reason.

    Thanks for sharing this wonderful book with us!

    Best wishes,
    Sarah

    sarah DOT setar AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks IdentitySeeker! Eden's mother "adopted" the actual poet in a virtual way, even creating a special destination on the World Band that she called "Emily's World." Eden virtually spent time there with Emily Dickinson and learned her poems, though she didn't like them at all when she was a young girl. Only later, when she finds herself in the last patch of rainforest and begins to discover her inner self, does she begin to embrace Aunt Em's words.

      Delete
  9. I think the title is the most interesting. The blurb sounds kind of um racist, no offense!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Thanks for writing a purely racist book! You white supremacist you!!

    You are not turning racism on its head. You are enforcing racial stereotypes that have existed for centuries. Black FACE is white people pretending to be black by painting their skin. Seeing as this is half the premise of your book, your book is a driveling pile of racist crap. A steaming pile of racist turds. and the fact that your male protagonist turns into a literal beast plays into the perpetual fear of black men as hypersexual savages. You're not turning racism on its head or going against any sort of conventions. You're enforcing the same ones that have been around for CENTURIES.

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs
Images from: Lovelytocu