Saturday, June 10, 2017

Lovely Books and Things - 6.10.17

Lovely Books and Things
My Weekly Books and Films Update

Linking up with:
Stacking the Shelves (details)
Sunday Post (details)
Mailbox Monday (details)

~*~

Along with reading, I did a variety of things this week (see below) including squeezing in a yoga class ;-)

Been feeling like a sponge and absorbing art and creativity lately. A friend mentioned a personal challenge of crafting or creating an art piece at least once a month. Coincidentally, How Art Can Make You Happy by Bridget Watson Payne was recently released. I took this as a sign. Stay tuned to see a little something from me.

My goal of purging and donating books from my shelves is going steadily. I manage to relieve the house of at least one shopping bag of books per week.

~*~

Bought:


Book Passage, Corte Madera hosted a reading and Q&A session with Lisa Ko to celebrate the release of The Leavers. Lisa said that the inspiration for the book was from a New York Times article about detained undocumented immigrant parents who were separated from their American born children.

This book is also part of the BookSparks Summer Reading Challenge (here).

The Leavers
by Lisa Ko
-Literary, Asian American
Amazon | Goodreads

The Natural Way of Things
by Charlotte Wood
-Dystopia, Feminism
Amazon | Goodreads

HANDMAID'S tale reference caught my eye in the description. Had to add this to my dystopia pile.

Smut
two unseemly stories
by Alan Bennett
-Short stories, British Humor
Amazon | Goodreads

HAD to pick this up when I spotted this as I loved the recent theatre production of SMUT: The Greening of Mrs. Donaldson which I saw earlier this month.


OTHER things (kinda book-related):

Crown & Crumpet
Planner Par-tea (details)

THE last Sunday of month is a special day at the Crown & Crumpet in San Francisco. If you are into organizing and planning with a paper planner, then this is a super fun event for you!

I attended my second session last month and had a wonderful time with fellow planners. Lots of tea and both sweet and savory goodies kept things in good spirits while we played in our planners. Happy Planner, Passion Planner and kikki.k Planner systems were in the house.

If you are a planner, I curious to know what system you use.


AND watched: live theatre

Roman Holiday
Director: Marc Bruni
Based on the Paramount Pictures Corporation Motion Picture "Roman Holiday"
Music and Lyrics: Cole Porter
Book by: Kathy Speer, Terry Grossman, Paul Blake
Starring: Stephanie Styles, Drew Gehling, Georgia Engel
-Comedy, Crime, Drama | SHN Golden Gate | my rating: 5

LOVED it and the Cole Porter favorites performed, Night and Day and You Do Something to Me. The costumes and set design were magnificent! And yes, there was a scooter.


AND watched: on DVD

Bottle Rocket (1996)
Director: Wes Anderson
Writers: Owen Wilson, Wes Anderson
Starring: Luke Wilson, Owen Wilson, Ned Dowd
-Comedy, Crime, Drama | imdb | my rating: 5

Three friends plan to pull off a simple robbery and go on the run.

GETTING around to watching all the Wes Anderson films. This was his first. And this one catches me up. It is a little harder to get a hold of his short films.

This story started off as a short story before turning into a feature film. His unique style slowly grabs and pulls you into his way of storytelling. LOL - of all places his quirky characters rob a bookstore!


~*~

* comment and TELL me what you have acquired for your shelves recently

:-)
 
Imagination Designs
Images from: Lovelytocu